Here’s a response to the last blog post about the painting Finding Abstraction which I got from Cori, the daughter of my friend Saren and someone who does that noblest of professions for a living…she teaches children about art !
(Cori is the hard working woman at the right, alongside her mom, on the day that the entire Zink family showed up to help us clean up after the flood.)
Love Finding Abstraction! My 4th graders just read Jackson in Action in their new reading series. I just finished a lesson with them using the children’s book Action Jackson and then let them do their own Pollock (sometimes I’m down right nuts). I did not manage the consistency very well and most of the paintings look like a mess but they had a blast. I think they had almost as much fun crawling around with a sponge to clean the floor and chairs as they did making the mess. And somehow I managed to not lose one pair of pants to paint splatters!!! Their reading about Romare Bearden now – collage is next. I’m loving this new reading series.
I just love Cori’s creative way of putting lessons into action. My brushes are raised to her !
PS – today she sent along a couple examples of the student’s artwork.
They both have nailed the strength of the linear gestures and the resonance of vivid color. Wicked cool as they say where I’m from. These guys are from the Paxtang Elementary School.
The Current show at Gallery 1261 features this little play on the theme… Finding Abstraction
The set up for this was crazy. I wanted to use a real Jackson Pollock painting as reference and found one in my old college Art History text book which I scanned and printed out so I could enlarge it and make it look like a postcard with torn edges. Then Pat found me an old paint can from the stash in the garage and after I rigged them up I taped a canvas to an old fedex box and started to drip.
I remembered the scene in the movie Pollock where Ed Harris takes house paint and starts to drip it on the floor. Turns out there is a learning curve which involves refining the dilution of the paint and the movement of the brushwork. More of a slow dripline than a splatter. I was aiming for verisimilitude but my need for immediate gratification left me impatient with the process. Yes, I could fake it… but I eventually found the right consistency and made up four jars of color and then I dribbled one layer at a time with the panel flat on the floor and walked away while it dried (that was the hard part). Since I was using oil paint instead of acrylic, it had to dry completely between colors or else I ended up with an oily blooming mess.
Then there was the fun of trying to get the magnifying glass to stay on that teacup.
I was just about finished with the painting when, sitting at my easel, I felt everything start to shake. When you work with a Bernese Mt. Dog at your feet this occasionally happens so I yelled at Finn to stop. It kept on shaking so I turned around and yelled at her again…but she was asleep. Then my phone beeped and I read the breaking news that there was an earthquake in DC. Yep, that felt about right.
I looked around the studio and a couple of the paintings were hanging off kilter but the only real damage was to this still life… the postcard had fallen off of the brush that I had rigged to hold it up (I did fake that nail and tile background).
So there’s the rest of the story as they say… stop by if you’re in Denver and check it out.